β„™π•£π• π•˜π•£π•–π•€π•€π•šπ•§π•– β„π• π•”π•œ THREAD: 𝔖𝔲𝔭𝔭𝔒𝔯'𝔰 π“‡π‘’π’Άπ’Ήπ“Ž
π““π“žπ“π“£ π“œπ“˜π“π““ π“œπ“” π“˜π“œ π“›π“˜π“’π“£π“”π“π“˜π“π“– π“£π“ž π“Ÿπ“‘π“žπ“– π“‘π“žπ“’π“š

my father was a huge fan of prog rock, anything by yes or jon anderson brings me back to the youngest days of my childhood that i cannot even consciously remember, though this song by him (especially the very distinct synth work at the beginning) runs deeper than any other memory that i can recall

when i was still in the womb my father burned a cd of his favorite songs at the time and he gave it to me as a young child. i've still got it to this day and this is the first song on that cd

i've been meaning to explore prog rock more outside of the stuff he used to listen to but i'm not really sure where to start, if you've got any recommendations my ears are open
//i.fii.moe/EEtDbYEICrUbLOFjkwKVQ7OUJWJR-ejl
Just say....ყɛʂ

Start off with their most popular work such as the yes album (not the same as their s/t), close to the edge, and fragile. These albums feature among the best lineups in all of prog history (jon anderson, steve howe, bill bruford, chris squire, and rick wakeman although it's tony kaye on the yes album). Topographical Oceans marks the split of this line up (as wakeman began to work solo, bruford goes to king crimson, etc). The album itself is a bit hard to work through and definitely won't pick you up on first listen. The rest of the 70s output is a mixture of players rejoining and leaving, and in the 80s they ate The Buggles because they made a video that killed the radio star. They have a massive discography, but this is the place to start. There are also numerous side projects, reunions, and solo albums (most notably off the top of my head chris squires fish out of water) but its best to decide whether you like yes' style of prog before continuing.

is coheed and cambria prog?????
Dying of boredom, I'll try it all...
we must all bow down to our savior guthrie govan

http://loweh.moe/img/1500945705431.gif
Isn't he credited on some of Steven Wilson's solo stuff? outside of that never listened to him, Ill have to check out his music. Sounds nice, like if Gilmour and Holdsworth merged into a single melodic being. On another note, because wins going to play dirty in the thread, Ill let them halt and catch fire. That fire of course, the wonderfully monstrous gentle giant

Yeah, he does appear on some of Steven Wilson's stuff. The guy's an absolute monster guitar player. He's obviously highly technical, but he's got the versatility to play in just about whatever style he fancies.
http://loweh.moe/img/1500945705431.gif