A Server Hosting Thread
Yeah weekly, every Sunday at 6AM in homage to whatever the hell caused your downtime way back when. Speaking of, did you ever get to the bottom of that? I can’t remember, you might’ve told me…
Dying of boredom, I'll try it all...

I was never aware of the homage aspect lmao

I don't remember exactly given its been over a decade since this has been happening, but I think it was somehow related to a faulty logrotate configuration that caused apache2 to explode. Pretty sure I just ended up writing a script that would check if apache2 was running and relaunch it if not until I switched to NGINX.

https://sig.flash.moe/signature.png

probably not, im a pretty shitty local dev, trying to do web dev when i can't do local very well seems like a recipe for extreme failure.

https://neeko.page/media/neekopage-badge.gif causing problems on purpose
I host a variety of things. For my day job I'm sort of a systems programmer, sysadmin and network engineer rolled into one thing. My heart is ultimately in programming though, I'm probably not the wisest sysadmin and don't care to be. It's just a means to an end I guess. I'd be lying if I said the blinking lights and hummm of a data center wasn't kind of enticing though.

The servers I run for a living primarily deal with processing weather data, the rest just serve to assist in me and my friends' creative ventures. Communal mass file hosting, shared web hosting, whatever else. It saves my homies lots of money and compared to everything else in our data center it costs basically nothing. It's crazy how much some companies charge for large scale cloud storage after seeing just how cheap it actually is to provide, granted that's probably just because of my friends' specific use case.

Hosting providers
I've used nuclearfallout/NFO for years, they're mainly for game hosting but I use their VPSes for lots of different things cuz you get a lot of storage for pretty cheap. It's not quite as cost effective these days but I'm grandfathered in with one of their old plans. I appreciate them on the basis of not being a huge company and having accessible, human support when you need it. Most of my sites I host myself nowadays (technically colo-ing through work, but if I run the data center I guess that's still self-hosting :P) but I have a couple of their VPSes for things I don't feel like hosting myself for security or legality reasons, e.g. games, pirated media, whatever else.

Domain providers
Namecheap but a lot of people seem to suggest Epik instead. I really don't care, prices are about the same across all of them, it's more a matter of how intuitive their UI/UX is personally.

Self-hosting with old computers
E-waste is awesome!!! (yes)
//i.fii.moe/geLpY2qMkdDxb2axnTxziPWfZKEdq4yb
Pictured above:
- An R710 running XCP-ng to host a bunch of VMs
- An R720 running Seafile, sort of like a personal OneDrive/Dropbox my friends use for their VFX work
- A stripped down 1950 maintaining automated backups of everything above

Home media server
I ran a Jellyfin server off of an old NOAAPort receiver I gutted and filled with my own parts for a little bit. Then the motherboard died and I was too lazy to fix it, but I wanna set up something similar in the future, probably with more efficient hardware.

Hosting nightmares
Lots of nightmares but none of them are particularly interesting. Mostly hardware failures that wouldn't have been an issue with better redundancy and less ancient equipment. Probably the most annoying thing I've encountered is when the satellite dish we use for ingesting NOAAPort data at work suddenly started giving us garbage, which perplexed us for weeks, only for us to find out it was 5G interference. We installed a C-band bandpass filter LNB to mitigate the 5G shit and everything worked again. So maybe 5G isn't turning the frogs gay but it's breaking lots of shit people rely on, and that's almost just as bad.
I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
I really like the labels on your servers, I'd really like to eventually self host things again on proper servers I host myself but that's still a while off. Really cool!!
i hope that little reemlet receives regular donations otherwise your reimu server may start randomly crashing for inexplicable reasons
//i.fii.moe/EEtDbYEICrUbLOFjkwKVQ7OUJWJR-ejl
https://i.fii.moe/uYgszrmMmZJ5PQz6UXu3x7TZL6m1hmZV
I'd like to run my own servers (my site recently got shut off because my debit card number changed, oopsie) but the problem is my ISP's terms & conditions ban web servers. I still run one anyway (for Jellyfin) but try to keep it off most of the time in the hopes that they don't notice. I guess when I have my own house I need to look into getting a more expensive plan
ISPs generally don't actually care unless you have ridiculous amounts of traffic in my experience. I broke these terms for years yet even got support from them when I was having issues lol