General Cooking Thread
i enjoy hen of the woods fried alongside boiled crayfish on the creek shores too much to stop eating wild mushrooms. i hope one day to eat a mushroom that turns me into an elf and/or gnome though i would prefer to be a gnome
//i.fii.moe/EEtDbYEICrUbLOFjkwKVQ7OUJWJR-ejl
needed a good activity to walk away from compute (evil) for a bit, made world's ugliest brownie
also diabetes as a nice bonus !

//i.fii.moe/oxWc5D7vi5HEZch0EvPU-lr32UthFLdE
leftover rice + leftover curry i put in the freezer a few months ago
//i.fii.moe/qttkG6iruohdJ_oq74BVDL310tG7pqHJ
https://cockdickball.in/media/button.gif
//i.fii.moe/FGXA_PXVbX2obbXknroJ5jrba78En5j7
//i.fii.moe/XJf1IkvvLBEfp9v-yajS3FgKxbL9sxpg
//i.fii.moe/wtKfENDc3kAOyzGu7KN26lqxWUQ6F_xq

Made some chocolate banana bread.
omg i made banana bread too last week for the people at work, they liked it

next time i will make cookies just to do something new
last summer i was able to get ahold of a propane range with a small oven thanks to a kind neighbor, and since getting it cleaned and working i've been making a lot of bread and cooled roasts as i've found it to be the cheapest way to have good meals the whole week long, i'm also a very big fan of cold cuts. however, i've noticed an interesting phenomenon over the last few weeks and was curious if there was a name for it

generally over the winter months i have a fire in my cabin once a day or less to keep it above freezing, as i'm usually out doing things all day since there's much less sunlight hours. i usually keep my roasts on the opposite side of the cabin away from the wood stove in a spot that i would imagine is usually about 35-40°f, the average temperature of most refrigerators. because i was exceptionally busy over the last two weeks i had the last portion of a roast sitting in that condition untouched for close to a week and a half. i expected it to be spoiled when i returned but instead i noticed something much different

because of how a refrigerator works, and the limited size, there tends to be a lot of moisture which in turn causes foods to spoil as bacteria grows from the moisture wicked on the food from the refrigerator; however, the open air in the wintertime is very dry, and exceptionally so in my cabin as the wood stove further dries the air when it runs. as a result the roast did not spoil, but rather cured in such a way that it resembles a sort of prosciutto, with a rind on the outside spices much like other cured meats and a very potent, delicious flavor in the center as much of the moisture has evaporated from the roast

is there a term for this kind of curing? at first i thought it might be dry curing, but i didn't salt the roast as you would for curing which i greatly prefer as it retains a lot of its original porketta spicing without being too salty. whatever it is i need to do more experiments with it because it's fantastic
that's definitely one benefit to it getting that cold over there then, pretty cool
https://sig.flash.moe/signature.png
i made meatloaf
//i.fii.moe/edlAX1tKKlzB6OyGmv9wNSB2rrcqZk4G
//i.fii.moe/BDfX3NkM6pet7opzzkCOnZTIqZlFbOaq
enchiladas
//i.fii.moe/PF3ZkibPxX8Kv7lrGi4cOCX7SwnICsXz
shouldve left the can in the dish for extra flavor