How was your day?
was just offered and accepted a full time position with health and dental at the camp i've been working at for a while now. after trying so many different configurations of part time jobs and trying to balance out the most efficient allocation of my time between them, i've finally decided that working second shift full time is the most optimal compromise between time sold and income as i can still get plenty of things done on the property in the morning before work every weekday and the guaranteed income in the winter will allow me to build up savings to invest in improvements immediately in the spring. having health and dental insurance would be fantastic as well because my teeth are pretty messed up and two years ago when i had lymes symptoms i would've been fucked if not for a friend that wrote me a prescription for antibiotics without having to go to a hospital

overall i'm really excited that this happened so early in the year as i can still save up plenty of money before spring and more effectively help gabe get ahold of a house for his family, as well as immediately begin work on the orchard and vineyard as well as potentially beginning work on a gravel road going back to the barn, or at the very least buying slab cutoffs from a logging buddy on the cheap to build a corduroy road in the meantime. at this rate i'm absolutely certain i'll be able to pay off all my debts by 30 and hopefully build myself a nice place then with all the fixins. we shall see >:3
//i.fii.moe/EEtDbYEICrUbLOFjkwKVQ7OUJWJR-ejl
https://i.fii.moe/uYgszrmMmZJ5PQz6UXu3x7TZL6m1hmZV
was laying in bed staring out the window at the rain feeling very cozy and thinking about how lucky i am that the roof didn't leak when suddenly a stream of water poured down onto my head and startled the cat so fixing that is now #1 on the list today. have a feeling its gunna be one of t h o s e days but i enjoy the rain so maybe it will be one of t h e s e days instead
it's definitely been a fascinating spring so far, the income from the full time position has definitely made a lot of things easier and the second-shift arrangement couldn't be better in terms of efficiency as i've been able to get a lot done on the land with such favorable weather. trying to purchase a house in this market has also been a real fiasco that's been demanding far too much of my time but we've got an accepted offer on a pretty nice spot across the border which is an excellent price for the quality and square footage, all things considered. the seller is an out-of-state trust that was established to handle an inheritance so it's been easy to negotiate contractual terms which has heretofore been impossible since the market is so aggressively seller-biased at the moment but i can tell these californians want to get rid of this flyover property asap. excited to close so that way we can all win in this exchange =w=

an unforseen consequence of this working arrangement has reared its head for some time now, though. while working second shift is excellent for efficiency on the land, it's been hell for my social life since most people work first shift and therefore most weekday events are set in the evening. i've had to completely abandon all of my midweek engagements which makes me feel much lonelier than i was expecting, it really was nice to break up the monotony of things in the middle of the week with an event or two. most frustratingly would definitely be missing out on the church choir practice as it was a very fun diversion and i enjoyed it very much. i'm very glad gabe gave me this kitten to raise so i've at least got someone waiting for me to come home at the end of a long day, in the past i would get rather depressed after coming home late

speaking of gabe, there's been a rather interesting development in regards to his working situation as well, one that i honestly never thought i would see. a very close relative to him recently passed but beforehand he was unable to get the time off from work to visit them in southern wisconsin, and in a rage he quit and spent the week down there. he definitely did the right thing as she died two days later, but the usual anxiety that surrounds him losing gainful employment was alleviated by his wife somehow snagging a job at one of cannabis dispensaries in ironwood almost immediately afterwards, for a higher wage than he was making at the lumber mill to boot. it's been going very well for her so far, but gabe's especially been loving it since they've got a good income and he's not out busting his ass forty hours a week. if they both worked part time i honestly think they'd pull in more money than from just one of them working full time, though his wife has shown an interest in taking this position full time which would certainly be a very strange change of pace. i don't think i could personally trust a woman with making an income for me but apparently it's pretty common these days and it sure as hell beats wasting your own time working, having gabe around the property during the day has been extremely useful and has helped alleviate some of the loneliness i feel from working this rather alienating shift. maybe he's on to something...